Neha
It's difficult for me to put down a book I'm reading. Yeah, it's kind of irritating for people around me sometimes. I always carry a book with me and can read anywhere anytime.

I read when I stand in long queues; I read when I am commuting or travelling; I read before going to bed; I read while waiting for my turn at the Doctor's.

In short, I read whenever I'm able to scrape those five minutes out.

Hence, long distances or extra waiting time don't trouble me as long as I have a good book alongside.

**Once I had these last two pages to complete of 'Night in Rodanthe', which I did after getting ready to go somewhere, standing, with the television blaring in the background.

One of my favorite time to read is in the metro train. It's convenient and comfortable. And I actually look forward to it.

So there I was, completely absorbed in 'Six Suspects' (by Vikas Swarup), clutching my handbag in one hand and holding the book in the other, absolutely oblivious to the world around me. When I heard something.

**I rarely hear anything when I am reading. While travelling/commuting, I look up to check the station name at regular intervals to ensure that I don't miss my stop. I never hear the announcements!

So I heard something.

No, it wasn't any music or a blast (God forbid!).

It wasn't someone falling or shouting or laughing.

It was someone munching. M-U-N-C-H-I-N-G.

Munching away at God-knows-what and producing the most obnoxious sound I have ever heard.

First I tried to concentrate on my reading and that is usually easy for me. Not this time!

I had to look up to see who it was. And there she sat, with the right ankle resting on the left knee, looking around and munching away.

This went on for the next few minutes, until I gave up and kept my book away. Letting out a sigh, I sat back and could not help but stare at the lady sitting across me.

She was in her own world, peering out of the glass windows every now and then, and still munching ever so loudly.

Then I knew that I am still not as good at concentrating as I thought I was! For here was this lady, whose munching not just distracted me but also made me keep my book away.

*Sigh* The things that I just don't have control over :(
6 Responses
  1. Nupur Says:

    Ditto on carrying a book everywhere and reading whenever there is time :)

    Oh I'm poor too in concentrating only on the book if something else is playing around too....specially when the tele is on...I can't read :(


  2. Subhajyoti Says:

    LOL, ur concentration went for a toss Neha-anyways i hope u really enjoyed the munching and ur ears aren't paining thanks to the awesome munching sound


  3. Brittany Ann Says:

    I'm the exact same way with a book! I'm always reading and would never stop if I could.


  4. Rachna Says:

    I am an avid reader too. But, I can rarely read in crowd, and I get distracted very easily. So, it is always a quiet corner for a read for me.


  5. rainboy Says:

    haha hota hai yaar... I remember a train journey where the passenger next to me was snoring so loud ..I couldn't sleep or read.


  6. Neha Says:

    @ Scribbler - Except for course/study books, my concentration is pretty good. And a book always keeps me company when I am bored or lonely in a crowd :)

    @ Shubhajyoti - I'd never like a co-passenger like that again! :(

    @ Brittany - :) Which book are you reading currently?

    @ Rachna - If I am alone in a crowd or waiting for the metro or at the doctor's, a book makes time fly by!

    @ rainboy - Most of the time, I have one or more person(s) around me in a train who snores and ensures that I get little or no sleep!